PDA

View Full Version : Concert Review

dirdyweeker
22-Feb-10, 09:43
PLAYING in a town closer to Oslo than their native Birmingham, just about everyone from the local gala queen to the village idiot turned up to welcome Ocean Colour Scene to Wick.

The above is an extract taken from a review of the concert in Wick Assembly Rooms. It was printed in the Daily Record. here is the link http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/life/reviews/music-reviews/2010/02/19/ocean-colour-scene-assembly-rooms-wick-86908-22054301/

Have i mis read this or do you too find it insulting?

golach
22-Feb-10, 10:02
PLAYING in a town closer to Oslo than their native Birmingham, just about everyone from the local gala queen to the village idiot turned up to welcome Ocean Colour Scene to Wick.

The above is an extract taken from a review of the concert in Wick Assembly Rooms. It was printed in the Daily Record. here is the link http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/life/reviews/music-reviews/2010/02/19/ocean-colour-scene-assembly-rooms-wick-86908-22054301/

You just have to see you the article is written by, that wonderful journalist who is well known for his love of all things Caithness, and is a regular poster on the Org.

Venture
22-Feb-10, 10:13
You just have to see you the article is written by, that wonderful journalist who is well known for his love off all things Caithness, and is a regular poster on the Org.

...."pepsi in a bowla" springs to mind golach. Sorry I mean tea. ;)

Yes dirdyweeker it is insulting.[disgust]

ducati
22-Feb-10, 10:18

I don't find it insulting. I'm not a Gala Queen and the jury is out on the second one :Razz

Jeid
22-Feb-10, 10:24
Typical Pepsi, always getting his "Hick town" reference in.

10/10 Pepsi.

theboss
22-Feb-10, 10:34
I liked how he gave the gig 4/5 in Fridays Daily Record and then 5/5 in the Sunday Mail. Don't get me wrong, i'm delighted the gig was reviewed so favourably in two national papers, I just fail to see how the same reviewer can give two different ratings for the same gig...?

Oh aye, and the small town comments are just typical Pepsi these days. I wasn't surprised by them in the slightest.

PartChimp
22-Feb-10, 11:14
"Indeed, One For The Road and Hundred Mile High Club were beersoaked highlights, and The Riverboat Song and The Day We Caught The Train were brought out for a hit-laden encore."

Surely if you're going to review a band you should at least be able to get the names of their songs right? :P

Other than that it was a nice little review. :)

Jeid
22-Feb-10, 11:20
Was probably one of his jokes... oh...

Boozeburglar
22-Feb-10, 11:37
The author did not mention what village the idiot was from, but the poor quality of the writing let the cat out of the bag.

I am sure his village is glad to have him back.

One wonders if he ever thought he would reach such heights when he was writing for the NME.

All expenses paid trips to Wick. Lavish.

MusicWicker
22-Feb-10, 16:28
Regardless of the content of the review, Pepsi got a wee gig in Wick a double page spread in a national newspaper. In my book thats pretty damn good.

Invisible
22-Feb-10, 17:31
I wish I went to this gig, with all the good reviews it had

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Feb-10, 17:39
To clear a few things up...

I gave OCS two, 4-star reviews. Therefore it can only be a sub's error, not mine.

Re: Hundred Mile High "Club" - I've checked my personal copy and it says Hundred Mile High City. Again, I'm not responsible for what happens to the copy once it's been sent over.

Expenses paid trip to Wick? Aye, right. I don't get travel expenses.

I do have to give Ryan a big congratulation for getting such a high-profile act this far north. It's no mean feat, therefore he deserves the plaudits. There were certainly a couple of idiots about (have readers lost their sense of humour?), but as Ryan rightly says, it's not everyday you get a double page spread about a gig in Wick in a national newspaper, let alone two of them. Would people rather have none? As usual, people only want to focus on what they deem as offensive, but that's their take on it. I highlighted Ryan and The Boss's good work in Hi-Arts recently and have another piece coming out next month taking a positive look back at the Breakdance scene in Caithness during the 80s, with mention towards Willie Miller's classes that will, hopefully, see more kids get off the street and into dancing.